Massachusetts Limited Assistance Representation (LAR) with Divorce and Family Law

Get Just the Legal Help You Need from a Bristol County Divorce Attorney

Are you involved going through an amicable divorce and doing much of the legal work yourself, but worried you might make a mistake? Hiring an inexpensive divorce lawyer for Limited Assistance Representation (LAR) could give you peace of mind that you're doing it right.

Are you stuck in a bad situation trying to separate from an ex or get your kids into a safer living arrangement? Worried you can't afford the legal help you need? If you are willing to do some of the legwork, hiring a lawyer for Limited Assistance Representation may provide just the amount of help you need at a cost you can afford.

Don't hire a cheap lawyer; hire a good lawyer for just the services you need. Contact Driscoll Sanford Family Law and ask one of our Bristol County divorce attorneys about Limited Assistance Representation.

What is Limited Assistance Representation?

Usually when you hire a lawyer for a Massachusetts divorce, property division or child custody case, you are paying him or her to do all of the work from beginning to end. Your attorney ensures everything is done right, that deadlines are met, and the case moves along smoothly. However, it may be more costly than you can afford at the time.

When you hire our Fall River family law attorneys for Limited Assistance Representation, you are hiring them to do just the parts of the case where skilled legal help is actually needed. You do the rest yourself – and we can advise you.

Why You May Want Limited Assistance Representation?

LAR is typically more cost-effective than the traditional full service model. It also gives the client more control over their case. You can do some things for yourself, rather than paying a lawyer to do it. It honors your ability to make decisions for yourself.

Want to use Legal Zoom to draft a document? Go ahead, and then hire a real lawyer to review your document.

About Fees: An LAR attorney can charge a flat fee or an hourly rate. Talk with your lawyer about your financial situation. For example, if you have money now but may not have it down the road, a flat fee may be preferable.

Who Should Consider LAR?

Limited Assistance Representation is good for some people for some aspects of their case, but it's not right for everyone.

  • Did you start a case with full legal assistance and then find your funds running low? You can switch to LAR.
  • Are you interested in "trying out" an attorney by having him/her do a specific project? If all goes well, you will hire that attorney to do more.
  • Is your legal issue small, immediate and well defined? For example, did you get a nasty letter from a lawyer that you want to respond to correctly?
  • Do you have some experience with the courts and are a competent speaker but you want to ensure legal paperwork has been completed and filed correctly? LAR could work for you.
  • Do you need help on a time-limited basis?

All of our divorce and custody attorneys are certified to provide Limited Assistance Representation. It's a unique service we provide to our clients who need it. You can hire us to handle specific tasks, to work on a specific timeline, or to do all tasks that don't involve going to court.

Divorce Limited Assistance Representation

We can provide the following services for clients seeking LAR for divorce:

  • Drafting papers to file for divorce
  • Filing and serving motions
  • Drafting pleadings and affidavits
  • Reviewing discovery responses, but not doing discovery
  • Reviewing prior depositions
  • Legal research and analysis
  • Contacting witnesses
  • Analyzing settlement proposals
  • Drafting financial statements
  • Contacting expert witnesses
  • Drafting disclosure agreements
  • Advising on the possibility of an appeal
  • Legal Advice
  • Court Appearance
  • Limited Court Appearance

Child CustodyLimited Assistance Representation

We can provide the following services for clients seeking LAR for a child custody and visitation case, or a modification of a custody order:

  • Drafting papers to start the case
  • Developing a parenting schedule
  • Child support calculations
  • Drafting financial statements
  • Review records for contempt cases or custody modification cases.

Don't Hire a Cheap Lawyer – Hire a Good Lawyer for Just The Services You Need

Contact Driscoll Sanford Family Law or call (508) 672-8718. We offer a free initial consultation. Ask us if LAR is right for your case.

Navigate our site


We accept all major credit cards for your convenience.

Credit card

Find Us On